Superior corrosion protection leading to extended maintenance intervals are the drivers behind our innovative, award winning anti-corrosion technology.
Based on activated zinc technology, our patented Hempadur Avantguard zinc epoxy primers are proven to deliver superior corrosion protection compared to key competitors in the zinc-rich epoxy market. The superiority has been independently proven by third party laboratory neutral salt spray tests according to ISO 9227. In this test, steel protected with Avantguard produced a lower evolution of rust creep than the competitor zinc epoxy primers tested, assessed according to ISO 12944-6, when tested up to 3x the duration for C5-high environments. The unique formulation enhances the coatings’ mechanical strength and offers greater working tolerances, to set a new standard for protection in tough C4 and C5 corrosive conditions.
Avantguard is also fast drying for increased productivity. Substantially reduced over-coating intervals makes Avantguard best-in-class and at least 33% faster than competitor zinc-rich epoxies.
The coatings can be used in all types of applications, from offshore oil & gas installations to heavy duty industry manufacturing and infrastructure projects, and the easy-to-apply formulation makes them ideal for both large-scale production and maintenance.
Redefining protection, durability and productivity
The advanced corrosion protection, higher mechanical strength and improved application properties of Hempadur Avantguard coatings have been proven in extensive tests:
• Redefining protection: Reduced rust creep (ISO 20340) & Norsok M 501, revision 6) and superior corrosion resistance (ISO 12944)
• Redefining durability: Improved crack resistance (thermal cycling resistance test) and reduced cracking at low and high dry film thicknesses (NACE cracking test and Hempel welding test)
• Redefining productivity: High tolerance to different climatic conditions (application tests under extreme thickness, temperature and humidity)
The Hempadur Avantguard® product range
• Hempadur Avantguard® 750: Anti-corrosive protection in compliance with Norsok M-501 in a coating that retains its properties even at high dry film thicknesses
• Hempadur Avantguard® 550: A fast-curing and easy-to-apply coating delivering anti-corrosive performance in compliance with ISO C5-I High
How Avantguard® works
Thanks to patented activated zinc technology, Avantguard® gives you novel 3-in-1 advanced corrosion protection:
• High formation of zinc salts in the scribe area improves galvanic protection
• Zinc salts throughout the film increase barrier properties to lower water permeability
• Capturing chloride ions creates a powerful inhibition effect to combat rust creep
Avantguard®’s innovative formulation also results in improved mechanical strength, so it is much less likely to crack during operation than other coatings on the market.
The unique formulation
Zinc-rich primers have been around since the 1960s. But back in 2007, Hempel’s R&D team made an important discovery: only one-third of the zinc in a standard zinc epoxy protective coating has any anti-corrosive effect. Our team spent more than 8,000 hours in the lab to find an answer. The solution is the Avantguard® activated zinc technology, which uses a unique combination of zinc dust, hollow glass spheres and a proprietary activator to activate more zinc in the coating.